Translate

20 Mar 2016

Barry Sheene Festival of Speed



It was the annual Barry Sheene Festival of Speed at Sydney Motor Sport Park yesterday.The weather was superb-bright sun,not too hot and there was a big crowd to see a packed programme of races and the guest appearance of some motorcycle legends including Kevin Schwantz,Freddie Spencer and Kevin Magee.

These events are always good because you can access the pits and paddock. There is a very friendly atmosphere and the participants are so enthusiastic. It is real grass roots motor sport. No big egos,no pretentious set ups in the pits and no transporters and motorhomes the size of apartment blocks.

The organisers really help the laid back atmosphere with friendly announcements for the competitors,explanations for what was going on when there are delays in the programme and not employing security guards who have to justify their employment by looking threatening and picking people up for silly minor transgressions.

Anyway congratulations to all involved- it was great except for the long delay getting into the circuit. OK,the organisers seriously underestimated the crowd but it took me 75 mins to drive 102 kms from Terrigal to Eastern Creek and then 45 mins to get into the track. Not funny.

The long delay in getting in meant that I missed the early light I wanted for photography. Nonetheless I am happy with the images I came back with. As I do not have the right gear there are no on-track action shots - except for the one above. This was taken from the track wall where I was not supposed to be and soon after they asked spectators to leave the wall-but I had my shot. I used the Leica X Vario for the day.
More photos to come in the next few posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment